A Liveable Region Coalition Initiative
for Minister Falcon
- Based on what evidence will twinning the Port Mann Bridge and widening
the #1 freeway solve the congestion problem?
- How does this project fit with the priorities in TransLink’s
Strategic Transportation Plan, the GVRD Livable Region Strategic Plan,
the GVRD Sustainable Region Initiative, the Vancouver City Transportation
Plan and the Vancouver Climate Change Action Plan?
- Will the additional traffic on an expanded freeway add to air quality
problems and greenhouse gas emissions? If air quality is reduced, have
the resulting health costs been factored into the cost of the project?
- What will be the impact of added freeway capacity on financial returns
from bridge and transit infrastructure improvements already committed
or under construction?
- What transportation demand and other alternative options, costs and
benefits have been assessed and compared with the proposals to increase
- Is there an expectation of widened arterial streets in adjacent municipalities
to access the expanded freeway? If so, are the costs of these widenings
included in the proposed budget?
- How does this project meet the commitment to sustainability in the
Vancouver 2010 transportation plan? (“We will reduce energy use,
minimize local air pollution and congestion, limit greenhouse gas emissions,
and showcase new technologies while ensuring safe, reliable and efficient
movement of people and goods during the Games.”)
- What kind of region will we create in the Fraser Valley?
- What effect will this have on the Agriculture Land Reserve (ALR)?
Would you like to see some Answers? See how you can Take
A Livable Region Coalition initiative